Besides tacos, one of my other loves in life is good breakfast food, it truly is great anytime of the day. Just so were clear so far during quarantine I’ve made maybe 25 quiches… a lot of quiches (solid quiche review maybe one day?) A good breakfast taco just makes sense, and this is quicker to make than a quiche, its simple fast, delicious, colorful and impressive for brunch when matched with a Paloma cocktail. Here’s a great recipe to make with hash browns.
There has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast foodsRon Swanson
For our breakfast taco we choose to go meatless. (this recipe could maybe work with bacon, but honestly it might takeaway from the flavors we are creating) I’m a big fan of Trader Joe’s products (Elote seasoning*) and their prices, I recently picked up the Trader Joe’s Hash browns (patty sized, they look just like the McDonald’s hashbrowns – not the shredded bag) in their frozen food section. You’ll get 10 hash browns for the price of $1.99 at 130 calories and 8 grams of fat they’re not the worst thing for you. These ingredients are very simple and fairly clean, Here’s everything you’ll need for these amazing breakfast tacos:
Makes: 6-8 tacos | Cook/Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 Trader Joe’s Hash Browns
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium size jalapeño
- 1 small sized Roma Tomato
- Cheddar Cheese
- 1 small white onion
- Olive oil
- Tortillas (flour or corn) if you use store bought properly heat the tortilla – or make your own
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Avocado (optional)
- Queso Fresco (optional topping)
- First pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet and place 3 hash brown patties.
- While waiting for the oven to heat, grab your jalapeño, cut the stem off and remove the seeds, slice the pepper and sauté in a pan. When finished set aside.
- Make your toppings – dice a roma tomato, and dice a small onion, since your mixing both of these items, you’ll need a little of both, expect to have plenty of the onion left over. Drizzle in a small amount of olive oil, salt and a small amount of oregano. Mix/toss your toppings.
- When the oven is ready, bake the hashbrowns for 7 minutes, once the time is up rmove the baking sheet and flip the hash browns and cook again for another 7 minutes.
- Once the hashbrowns are cooked split them into chunks, if a longer cooking is desired cook the chunks on the stove top in a pan.
- Cook the eggs scrambled separately in a pan on the stove, when the almost fully cooked add the hashbrowns and mix. Add some grated cheddar cheese as desired, the cheese will act as the glue to hold everything together. (no filling falling out of the taco!)
Assemble your taco
- grab three tortillas and fill each one with the egg and hashbrown filling.
- Using a spoon, add the mixed tomatoes and onions toppings.
- Add pieces of jalapeño.
- If desired top with avocado and crumbled queso fresco.
1 thought on “Hash-brown and Eggs Breakfast Taco Recipe”